Monday, May 12, 2008

I've had a little time to calm down since my last post. I realize that it might have been a little harsh, so I will attempt to explain myself in a calmer fashion. I'm not coming down on anyone who has gone through these programs or been helped by them. Sometimes, you have to have outside intervention to get you stable enough to begin to think about heart change. I think my problem is that destructive eating habits are being misrepresented to those who participate in them. If it's lack of control they struggle with, saying that it's a disease isn't going to help them feel more in control. If you believe that you are powerless to fight something you're not going to bother trying to fight it. Right?



I think the root of my problem with today's view of destructive eating habits is that it unconsciously adds deception to deception. We are already deceived by our distorted body image and obsession with weight, then we are deceived again by the promise of help by programs that can only offer a band-aid. We get bandaged up, but we don't get healed (see Repaired or Restored on 4/16).

No comments: