Saturday, May 10, 2008

A disturbing trend in the world of "disordered eating"

Okay, I've been looking at some blogs of other people who are struggling with destructive eating habits recently and I'm seeing a disturbing trend. It's not a new trend, but now that I'm going through this In His Image program, I'm really seeing it. I have read many, times that eating disorders are diseases or mental illnesses. I don't want to sound mean, but...that's wrong and as long as people think this way, they are never going to get better. Okay, they might stop the behavior through therapy programs, but at the end of the day they are no better off. Cancer is a disease. Schizophrenia is a mental illness. Disordered eating is a sin. It's a form of bondage. That doesn't make it any less destructive that cancer or schizophrenia, it just changes the treatment. It involves taking responsibility for how one has treated one's body.

I know I read somewhere that this person felt like their eating disorder (I'm really beginning to hate the phrase) was a part of them and that they didn't go a second without thinking about it. Been there. I know how that feels, but I'm also learning that that doesn't have to be it...getting better isn't just about stopping a behavior. It's changing your outlook and your attitude towards yourself and about the reason you are here (renewing your mind). And that reason is to glorify God in everything. Now...I'm want this to sound like I've got it down or that I'm walking in total and utter freedom, because I'm not. To pretend like I am would be absolutely idiotic, but I know what works. I wish I could communicate that to other people who have fallen into destructive eating habits.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Fools, because of their transgression,
And because of their iniquities, were afflicted.
Their soul abhorred all manner of food,
And they drew near to the gates of death.
Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble,
And He saved them out of their distresses.
He sent His word and healed them,
And delivered them from their destructions.
Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness,
And for His wonderful works to the children of men!
Let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving,
And declare His works with rejoicing
Psalm 107:17-22

No comments: