Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Welcome to Eating 101

As I said earlier, my parents have really put their feet down regarding my eating. They're being gentle enough I guess, but any increase in food is lothesome to me. I'm used to getting about 1100 calories a day and Mom is determined to get me up to 2000....I think she's crazy, but somehow I seem to be getting there ever so slowly. Things around the house are a little tense right now. There are lots of debates over food. How much food should equal one serving, what kind of foods am I supposed to be eating. Stuff like that. It's not fun. I pretty much wouldn't talk to mom the last half of yesterday. She was making me eat and I was mad.


Learning to eat is a very hard and uncomfortable process. It's weird too...it's like "eating? what the crap? Everyone knows how to eat, so what's the point of learning how to eat?" Here's the point; I have forgotten what it means to feel hungry and what it means to feel full. I don't remember how "normal" people eat. I don't even remember what it's like to eat a normal meal...I have to learn all of that over again. My body isn't getting what it needs and when it doesn't get what it needs I don't perform my best and I don't think straight. The less I eat, the more I don't want to eat, the more moody and irritable I get and worse I dance. It's a vicious cycle that I can't break on my own. I have to have help and I'm blessed to have parents who will help me (even though right now I would really rather just be left alone). It's been a learning process for everyone; they're learning what helps me and what doesn't and I'm learning how to eat...again. Like I said welcome to Eating 101.

Anyways, what I'm trying to get at in a very round about way is this: in order to get better, you have to have help. And the best place to get help is from your family because they care enough about you to not care whether or not you're mad at them for making you eat. If it weren't for my parents I would have probably been in a hospital by now.

No comments: