Monday, June 2, 2008

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

We come to an impasse...we desire to go forward...we want a stronger relationship with God, but things just feel like they're slipping, or at the very best not moving forward....which is really moving backwards. We've heard it all, we've got the head knowledge, we know the right answers, but are they our answers? Or are they simply the answers we've learned to repeat because someone told us they were right? At some point it comes down to obedience and application...and all application really is is obedience. You have to make your own decision about what you're going to do with what you know. Do you let it sit on the wall of you mind like a rusting tool? Or do you use it and bring God the glory He deserves? "I know this word of His is true in my life, but I'm not ready to obey, I'm not strong enough to obey." you will never be ready and you will never be strong enough. The Lord knows I wasn't. But I could beg. And beg I did. As I begged I saw that I had a choice....keep my knowledge and let it rot...or let His word be alive and active in me. It didn't happen by osmosis. I had to choose to obey. Oswald Chambers put it very well when he said that "we are not given overcoming life, but we are given life as we overcome."

The physical manifestations of outward readiness for an event (growing up for example) or healing ought to be there, but they can also be counterfeited and put on as a facade. The outward achievements don't help if the heart is not right and at home with God. The outside will break down...we can't keep it up on our own.

Change and readiness come from daily seeking God through His word and prayer and walking in obedience. I have seen in my own life that this is the only way we will ever a) learn God's will for our lives, b) heal from the chains we've bound ourselves in whether it be lust, bitterness, fear, etc. and c) grow in our walk with the Lord.

These are two things that have really spoken to me about seeking God, healing, and obeying:

Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will? Hebrews 2:1-4

We must never allow anything to injure our relationship with God; if it does get injured we must take time and get it put right. The main thing about Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship we maintain and the atmosphere produced by that relationship. That is all God asks us to look after, and it is the one thing that is being continually assailed. My Utmost for His Highest-August 4th

No comments: